It’s been a pretty hectic week since our visit from Hank Fraley and his family. What started off as a great week, ended with Kaylee, Kyle and me – all sick. Carol mentioned a slight sore throat, but appears to have dodged a bullet. On Thursday, Kalyee had an appointment with Rainbow to have blood drawn. This blood draw was one for her record books – her white blood-cell count was a “goose-egg”. For the first time since she started her chemotherapy treatments, her white blood-cell count hit rock bottom – zero. On top of that news, we learned that she needed a red blood-cell transfusion too.
They started the transfusion, but about halfway through the transfusion, Kaylee developed a fever which immediately prompted the nurses to stop the transfusion, and administer antibiotics. We’re not sure whether the transfusion or her low blood-cell count caused the spike in her temperature, but no matter what, she needed to be on antibiotics.
This next part is a bit foggy, but somehow, we learned that a epidural staff infection had formed in one of Kaylee’s tubes. We’re pretty sure this is the reason for the spike in her temperature. This new dilemma introduces a whole new scenario for us… we were unclear about how this would affect the schedule!? We already knew that if the infection could not be contained and dealt with – Kaylee’s surgery, to have the temporary catheter installed would have to wait.. Now we’re flirting with time! If we pushed out too far, we would miss the opportunity to collect her white stem-cells… her white stem-cell counts are rising.
On top of all that, Kaylee developed a few sores in her mouth; one on the tip of her tongue and the other on the back of her throat. The sores made eating food very difficult for her. She had to be put on an antibiotic for that too. to help combat the pain in her mouth, she was given morphine.
With all thats been going on with Kaylee, things have not been quiet at home either … both Kyle and I have not felt well. Over the weekend, Kyle developed a fever, and complained of stomach pains. Carol came home for a few hours to be with Kyle and me, whiile grandma and papa (through the woods) stayed with Kaylee downtown. Carol wasn’t in the door 30 minutes, when Kyle mentioned that he was cold and his side (stomach) hurt. Carol checked his temperature, and sure enough, he was running a fever. It took the entire weekend, but it looks like Motrin and lots of fluids did the trick for him. I on the other-hand need to make another appointment to see my doctor – I can’t get rid of this nagging cough.
This morning I spoke to Carol and we both agreed that there was no way surgery would happen today (Monday)… 5 minutes after I hung up with her, she calls me back and told me that the nurses were just in and it looks like surgery will happen today. The doctors have not made their rounds yet, but the nurses were fairly confident that surgery is in Kaylee’s very near future.
I’m heading down to the hospital today for the first time. Now that Kaylee’s white blood-cell counts are on the rise, I feel better about being in the room with her. I had planned on visiting with her regardless of the surgery, but since the surgery is happening today – I definitely need to be there.